- Early Childhood
- Adult Literacy
Collaborative Center for Literacy Development
Adolescent Literacy Toolkit
Established by the Kentucky legislature in 1998, CCLD serves as a clearinghouse for literacy research and professional development. In fulfilling its mission to improve literacy instruction and learning, CCLD is working toward a mass dissemination of materials to middle and high school educators across the state. The Adolescent Literacy Toolkit is made possible through funding from the Adolescent Literacy Coaching Project, a joint initiative by CCLD and the Kentucky Department of Education. The Toolkit is part of our effort to make current research and materials available to the education community.
The Toolkit has been mailed to middle, high, and alternative schools (grades 6-12). The entire Toolkit contents, excluding the book Informed Choices for Struggling Adolescent Readers, are available online for all educators to access.
A variety of key resources are included in this Toolkit, designed to assist districts and schools in implementing a coordinated, systemic approach to improved literacy achievement. The Performance Effectiveness Review for Kentucky Schools (PERKS) and Quality Indicators for Secondary Literacy can assist in assessing your school's literacy needs. Reading Next and Writing Next provide frameworks for comprehensive literacy instruction. The DVD "Literacy Without Limits" and lesson plans provide specific strategies for refining literacy instruction and practice across the content areas. These resources intentionally support literacy instruction for the majority of adolescent learners.
Kentucky data, however, indicate a large majority of students in need of additional, more intensive support. CCLD recognizes the complexity of selecting and implementing the most appropriate interventions for adolescent learners. Within the toolkit, we have provided one of the International Reading Association's premier text, Informed Choices, to support your decision-making process.
CCLD believes this toolkit will prompt dialogue, support professional development, and transform literacy teaching and learning. CCLD will make available webinar professional development opportunities based on the materials and resources in this toolkit. We hope your school participates in these future opportunities.
$ Indicates the resource is available to purchase from the publishing source listed.
Blueprint for Implementation (*Read first)
The following sections and individual components are listed as they are on the "Table of Contents" for accessibility.
STAFF DEVELOPMENT LESSONS
- "What Does Literacy Look Like?"
- "Characteristics and Supports of Comprehensive Adolescent Literacy Instruction-Part 1"
- "Characteristics and Supports of Comprehensive Adolescent Literacy Instruction-Part 2"
- Adolescent Literacy: A Position Statement (International Reading Association)
- Adolescent Literacy: A Policy Research Brief (National Council of Teachers of English)
- Improving Adolescent Literacy in Kentucky (Kentucky Department of Education and Kentucky Reading Association)
- Literacy Instruction in the Content Areas
- NCTE Principles of Adolescent Literacy Reform
- Reading Next
- Standard for Middle and High School Literacy Coaches
- Writing Next
INTERVENTIONS AND INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
- $ Informed Choices for Struggling Adolescent Readers
- Academic Literacy Instruction for Adolescents
- Adolescent Literacy Intervention Programs: Chart and Program Review Guide
- Features of Literacy Programs: A Decision-Making Matrix
- The Secondary Literacy Instruction and Intervention
- Effective Instruction for Struggling Adolescent Readers
- How to Know a Good Adolescent Literacy Program When You See One: Quality Criteria to Consider
- Coaching: A Strategy for Developing Instructional Capacity
- The Literacy Coach: A Key to Improving Teaching and Learning in Secondary Schools
LINKING RESEARCH AND PRACTICE
- Adolescent Literacy Resources: Linking Research and Practice
- Interventions for Adolescent Struggling Readers
- Collaborative Center for Literacy Development
IMPROVING CLASSROOM PRACTICE
- Teacher Self-Assessment Tool for Content Area Literacy Support
- Teacher Self-Assessment Planning Tool for Content Area Literacy Support
- AdLit: All About Adolescent Literacy
- What Works Clearinghouse: Scientific evidence for what works in education
- Read Write Think
- Content Area Literacy Guide
- "Literacy Without Limits" DVD
- Achievement Gap webpage
SCHOOL WIDE RESOURCES
- Performance Effectiveness Review for Kentucky Schools (PERKS)
- "Quality Indicators for Secondary Literacy"
- $ Literacy Across the Curriculum: Setting and Implementing Goals Grades 6 through 12
21ST CENTURY SKILLS
- enGauge 21st Century Skills for 21st Century Learners: Literacy in the Digital Age
- 21st Century Skills Map
RESOURCES FOR PRINCIPALS